Press release draft for Transgender policy

Desired topics and completed press releases to announce SOA activities both within the Sisterhood and with the greater Pagan Community -- and beyond.
MargoWolfe

Press release draft for Transgender policy

Postby MargoWolfe » Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:35 pm

Here is a draft of a press release for the Wild Hunt regarding our transgender policy:

The Sisterhood of Avalon has always been an organization that creates a safe space for women to seek their sovereignty and develop a strong connection to the Isle of Avalon and the Welsh Goddesses. What was not always clear was how they defined the term "woman" in their mission and bylaws. In the fall of 2013, the SOA took action after many thoughtful discussions and clarified their policy to make it more inclusion of transwomen.

The announcement to their membership included the following:
The Council of Nine and the Board of Trustees would like to update our community on recent changes to the SOA's membership policy regarding transgender and intersex women. We are pleased to announce that our policy on membership has been expanded to include any person who self-identifies and currently lives as a woman. This decision is the result of both much inner work and a continuing conversation between the Council of Nine and Board of Trustees that has been taking place over a period spanning several years.

As an organization that emphasizes healing and personal sovereignty we are proud to welcome all women to walk their path along the shores of this Isle of Healing, our Isle of Avalon.

Since this announcement, the policy has been met with overwhelming support from their membership. They hope to continue to provide a safe place for all self-identifying women to Remember, Reclaim, and Renew.

Jamie

Re: Press release draft for Transgender policy

Postby Jamie » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:25 pm

Hi Margo:

Thanks for drafting this release. I am not crazy about these lines: "What was not always clear was how they defined the term "woman" in their mission and bylaws. In the fall of 2013, the SOA took action after many thoughtful discussions and clarified their policy to make it more inclusion of transwomen."

I think we could we could wordsmith a little, maybe something like: "In fall 2013, the SOA updated their mission statement and bylaws to include more sensitivity across the gender spectrum, broadening their definition of "woman" to include transwomen."

I would also love to see a quote from Sydney and/or Jhenah in this piece.

Jamie :)

MargoWolfe

Postby MargoWolfe » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:31 pm

Thank you. I was struggling with that intro. and couldn't formulate the right words. That sounds so much better.

Cheers,
Margo

Vyviane

Postby Vyviane » Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:36 pm

Great and I agree with Jamie's change of words.

Blessings,
Vyviane

Elisa

Postby Elisa » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:30 pm

Beautifully done!
XO the much-absent Elisa

Kelly Woo

Postby Kelly Woo » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:57 pm

I love it! And excellent suggestion, Jamie. :) Thanks, ladies!

Vyviane

Postby Vyviane » Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:23 am

Quick update- please don't send this yet. I made a nice connection with one of The Wild Hunt's staff writers, Heather Greene, and she may want to do a story on this. So let's not send off just yet.

sydneybell

Postby sydneybell » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:34 pm

Hello - catching up on a few things here. :D

I appreciate this draft piece, Margo and like Jamie's editorial suggestions. Looking forward to hearing about the potential of a story!

love,
Syd

Return to “Press Releases”